INNOVATION FUND: DESIGN INNOVATION SEED FUND (DISF)
Applications are currently OPEN.
The closing date for applications has been extended to 26 April 2019
DISF CRITERIA – THIS FUND IS OPEN TO:
- Western Cape based early-stage small and medium enterprises/entrepreneurs/researchers
- Students at Western Cape tertiary institutions as long as the institution does not already have an Intellectual Property claim to the product/service. Please consult institution’s Intellectual Property policy
- Pre-revenue businesses in incubation or entering incubation OR
- Existing SMEs with new products/innovation that is still pre-revenue.
- South African citizens with valid South African Identity Documents or legal entities controlled by South African citizens with valid South African Identity Documents or permanent residents who hold a valid RSA ID document.
SECTOR FOCUS 2019/2020:
- Water Conservation
- Alternative Building Materials
- Information and Communications Technology
- Wild Card* (*projects outside these sectors can be considered)
- Only fully completed applications will be considered
- No company or individual can access more than R800 000 of the fund
- Fund allocations will be made on an activity/intervention basis linked to co-developed delivery milestones
- Applicants must be familiar with the Intellectual Property Rights from Publicly Financed Research and Development Act, 2008 (Act 51 of 2008) and understand the implications of this Act on intellectual property derived from projects funded by TIA; primarily the Institutions’ Rights in terms of the Act. Please see the IPR Act 2008 Act 51 of 2008
- TIA retains the right of first refusal to support further technological development, as informed by the outcomes of the DISF seed funding, and TIA’s own criteria.
- The DISF Seed Fund Beneficiary acknowledges that should the project technology be commercialized, TIA will have the right, but not the obligation to claim royalties which shall be subject to negotiation with the individual project / Seed Fund Beneficiary (however, exceptions will be motivated per project commercial merit and socio-economic impact).
- No staff member or associate of the CDI or TIA may apply
- CDI funding decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
The closing date for applications is 26 April 2019
For queries please contact: Ryan Rode – firstname.lastname@example.org